[TowerTalk] pipe masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] pipe masts
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:37:55 -0800 (PST)
>I'm putting some schedule 40 pipe together with coupler/reducer fittings to
>form a sturdy guy anchor/flagpole. The bottom is a 10 foot section of 3"
>pipe, coupled to a 10 foot section of 2 1/2" pipe, coupled to a 10 foot
>section of 2" pipe. About 4 feet of the bottom section will be imbedded in
>concrete (with a threaded coupling or bolts at the bottom to 'grip' the
>concrete).

Hi Frank,

I would be very concerned about the places where the pipe is threaded.  The
deep sharp grooves of the threading process only only cuts away about half
of the wall thickness, but the grooves tend to create additional stresses, I
believe.  I really an out of my element on this part, but I know that joined
threaded pipes are really weak . . .  Lost a three band quad that way in
1962.  Pipe mast fractured at a threaded joint.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com