[TowerTalk] de-rating tower wind loading limits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] de-rating tower wind loading limits
From: UpTheTower@aol.com (UpTheTower)
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 22:34:11 EST
From: Chad Kurszewski  WE9V <Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] de-rating tower wind loading limits

To which W6OLD wrote:
>Pay for a PE to work the numbers for you, Henry.  If you will be going for
>a building permit, you'll have to do that anyway.

That would be the safe/correct way to go.

But, to give you a ball park guess, I'll go though a couple equations
that everyone could apply to their particular case.

Let's start with the 50 MPH vs. 70 MPH.

New wind load = old wind load * (old wind speed)^2 / (new wind speed)^2
              =    30         *     50^2           /       70^2

              =    15.3 sq.ft

By that quick calculation, your 8 + 8.5 sq.ft would be over the rating.

I was going to go into the calculation about the mast height, but it
may be too much for most of the readers.  On second thought, it reduces
pretty nicely.  This applies to self-supporting and crank-up towers, not
guyed towers.  I won't explain it, but will give you the equation:

W = rated wind load
w1= wind load antenna 1
w2= wind load antenna 2
h = tower height
m = mast length (or how far above tower top that antenna 2 is mounted)
d = mast diameter, in feet (ie. 2" / 12 = 0.16666)

      W*h >= w1*h + w2*(h + m) + (0.67*d*m)*(h + m/2)

So, if we were to assume that 15.3 sq.ft. is the rating at 70 MPH
(remember, that is a close estimate...get a PE to verify), and a 8.5
sq.ft. antenna at the top of a 70'(?) tower.  How big of antenna can
we put 16 feet (20' mast, 4' in tower) above the tower on a mast?

15.3 * 70 >= 8.5 * 70  +  X*(70 + 16) + (0.67*0.1666*16)*(70 + 16/2)
1071      >=  595      +  X*(86)      +             208
268       >=              X*86
3.1       >=              X

So, as a ROUGH ESTIMATE, you could only have a 3.1 sq.ft antenna at the
top of the mast.  Notice that 3.1 + 8.5 is nowhere near the 15.3 number.
So, you could put up a 4 el 10M beam.

Now remember, I'm not a PE.  These equations are to help you get close
to an antenna/tower configuration that might work.  It is not intended
for a final check.  Once you get in the ballpark of what might work,
then take all that to a PE.  These equations are to save you a few
extra trips to the PE office.  Choosing antennas/towers is a very
iterative process.  By the very nature of the ham, we are experimenters.
We always like to try something different.  If we had to check each idea
with a PE, it could become very costly.

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos