[TowerTalk] How much crete?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How much crete?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:25:48 EST
In a message dated 98-01-19 00:04:06 EST, no6x@inreach.com writes:

> How much concrete do I need to hold up a 54 foot tower, in other word how
>  much digging needs to be done. How big does the stinkin hhole need to be?

    Well, going by what the manufacturers say - for a Hy-Gain HG-54D,(16
sq.ft.) you'll need 3 yds. in a hole 42" x 42" x 7 feet. For a US Tower TX-455
(18 sq.ft.), the hole is 3' x 3' x 6' with (2 yds.). The HDX-555 (30 sq.ft.)
hole is 4' x 4' x 6' and takes
3.6 yds.

>  A little information is as follows. It is a 54 foot tower, that is
>  motorized, or was at one time, motor is now off of it. So under my
>  assumptions, being motorized it is meant to be a free standing crank-up.
>  His other plan is to anchor it about 12 feet up to the side of the house as
>  his current one is. How much stress, or whatever, does that reliev from the
>  pad it will stand on.

    These towers are designed to be free-standing. I think attaching it to the
house is redundant and unnecessary unless the manufacturer recommends it.

73,  Steve  K7LXC