[TowerTalk] Tower Site Hunting Near Cleveland

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Site Hunting Near Cleveland
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:15:30 EST
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 07:37:57 -0800 Kyle Sandel <sandelkw@alaska.net>
writes:

>What you call "bylaws", I have been calling these "ordinances".  Does
>this make any difference when I go to see the town clerk?

K1VR: No.  Same thing -- different name. Zoning ordinance = zoning bylaw.
 But you don't need every ordinance ever passed by the town, as, for
example, the Town's ordinance on fireworks (if permitted).

>I have a choice of four volunteer counsels in the Cleveland area. Do
>you have a suggestion on how to go about selecting one?

K1VR:  Geography and reputation.  Ask around.  Jim, K8MR, a fine
contester, and stalwart of the Mad River Radio Club (K8MR, get it?) is on
this reflector, or the contest reflector, and lives in the Cleveland
area.  A VC should pbly give you an hour free.  Use it well.  After that,
you should expect to pay.

>I haven't heard of a special permit. Would you mind telling me how
>this differs from a variance?

K1VR:  Please understand that these things are normally very local, and
I've probably never seen an Ohio statute, nor am I licensed there.  A
variance is normally related to a condition of the land, as in "if I obey
the setback requirement, my antenna support structure has to be placed in
the bottom of a gravel pit. Please give me a variance (an exception to an
existing ordinance) so that I can put it closer to a property line that
would ordinarily be necessary." A Special Permit is what you apply for if
the ordinance says: " You may put up a tower, but you have to get a
special permit first."