[TowerTalk] Balloons

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balloons
From: jfeustle@uoft02.utoledo.edu (jfeustle)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 11:30:06 -0500
Having played at this a few years back when WD9INF (now N8KR) still had his
contest station in the area and, like NSA, having lost a "tethered device,"
I looked into the balloons that Fair Radio has to offer. I contacted them
via e-mail and here's the reply.

------
WE HAVE A LARGE MANTA RAY SHAPED SAFETY ORANGE PLASTIC BALLOON, 8 FT WINGTIP
TO WINGTIP AND NOSE TO TAIL.  SHAPED LIKE A LIFTING BODY.  IN FACT WE DID
FLY IT LIKE A  KITE.  UNUSED $25.00 PLUS SHIPPING.  #SEB-42-ALV

ML-541A WEATHER BALLOON 7 FT DIAMETER UNUSED $17.95 EACH  2/$32.00 PLUS
SHIPPING

-------

The problem we had with our balloon antenna, outside of the operators
sniffing the gass, was with the wind driving it back down toward the
ground. Perhaps since the one Fair Radio balloon is shaped like a lifting
body, this will not be a problem. Wonder how I'd explain this one to the
neighbors....

73,
Joe, N8JF