[TowerTalk] Rohn 25

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:52:14 EST
In a message dated 98-03-24 22:10:19 EST, kc5ajx@hotmail.com writes:

>  If I decide to go with a staight up guyed tower, I know how to erct the
>  thing but if I want to install a second antenna later how the heck do
>  you reach up above the tapered top section? There is nothing to fasten
>  your climbing belt to except the mast and then there is nothing to stand
>  on. I know this may sound stupid to those who have done it several times
>  but to one who is sitting here trying to figure out all the angles
>  before I start building it is not clear.

    You stand up on the horizontal rung (belted in around the tower or mast of
course) and mount a temporary step. Use 2-3 inch angle steel or aluminum 12-18
inches long. Drill holes for the appropriate sized U-bolts (with saddles) for
your mast and you'll be all set. Install the first 2 steps, then step from the
tower to the steps and head on up. Push the antenna up as you go. Remove the
steps when you're on your way down.

    This is a big mental exercise and not everyone can make the transition
(metaphorically speaking).

      Well, you asked.

     The other way is to get a boomtruck or crane in there.

     BTW, TOWER TECH has special "Rattmann belts". These are safety lanyards
that are one-foot long and are used when you're working on the mast. They hold
you close enough to the mast so that you can work and they attach easily.
They're much safer and easier to use than wrapping your 3-foot lanyard around
the mast 3 or 4 times. They're $33.00 from TOWER TECH. (They are named after
Glenn Rattmann, K6NA.)

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC