[TowerTalk] Re: Long mast, intermediate bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Long mast, intermediate bearing
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 23:25:09 EST
In a message dated 98-04-04 22:09:27 EST, kb3aug@juno.com writes:

> I guess I'll have to add my two cents on this. I fabricated a tram that
>  is 7 feet wide and will attach to the top of a 25 or 45 Rohn. It has
>  three points to hook the tram lines to and a roller for the pull line to
>  go over. I never got to use it, but it should work like a champ. It sure
>  would beat all three lines coming to a point at the top of the tower. I
>  got the idea for this the last time we put up a tribander and it wanted
>  to roll over when it got about 2/3rd's of the way up. If you have a flat
>  top tower it shouldn't be to much trouble to get it on the mast as long
>  as there is not to much of it above the top of the tower, hook the
>  antenna to the ginpole and let the ground crew take the load. Once it's
>  on the mast (loose) hoist the mast up install the rotor, you know the
>  rest.

      What you're describing is a 'trolley' system where the load (antenna)
lays on top of the suspension lines. I don't recommend this technique for
several reasons (too much friction, typically unequalized rigging, too
complicated, etc.).

     A 'tram' system is where you have a single suspension (tram) line and the
load is hung underneath it. Simple, effective and easy to rig. N0AX and I
dropped a 402CD and C-3 today in about 30 minutes.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC