[TowerTalk] screw anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] screw anchors
From: litwins@badsector.com (Litwins)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:03:52 GMT
Cuppla questions;
I live in NW FL.  Sand, clay etc for a place to put guy anchors.  I am
re-installing my tower used in WV for yrs here in FL.  Does anybody have any
experience using screw anchors in this area?  Or one like it?  I have the
anchors from the WV site.  They are 4', abt a 1" shaft dia and the screw plate
is
just 4.5 to 5 inches dia.  Look kinda puny to me now but worked thru all
kinds of bad wx in WV.  The tower is 55' home-made (welded) tublar steel, 3
legs, cross bracing etc in 10' and one 5' section at the base.  It will only
support a TH5DXX, Ham IV, thrust brng, plates etc.  Tower was guyed at 35' and
top, 35' out from base.  Seeemed to work ok in WV dirt and rocks.  Any ideas
on wether it will hld ok here in NW FL??  Or should I spring for larger
anchors?  Which brings up question #2...I have tried locally to purchase new
screw anchors; no luck.  Any suggestions for a resource?  Mny tnx in advance,
73, dx, steve k8wk