[TowerTalk] Rohn 25, tower height, rotor selection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25, tower height, rotor selection
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 22:12:44 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-12 21:49:15 EDT, kn4ab@home.com writes:

> I have decided to install 40 or 50 ft of Rohn in the middle of the
>  yard with the appropriate concrete base and guys. I was going to
>  house bracket it, however it just doesnt work out with guy placement
>  etc.

      Does that mean that you're going with straight guying and no
housebracket?

     Union County, NJ, is an 85 MPH wind speed zone so I would suggest using
the 90 MPH Rohn specs for your project.

>  I have a 3 element HY-Gain duo-band 15/10 mtrs, beam with about 4.5 sq
>  ft windload.  What would be the best rotor for this beam? I would like
>  to be conservative if possible.  I am going to use 5ft of mast,
>  with about two feet above the tower. Are the Yaesu rotors reliable?

       This is a small load so just about anything will handle it. I think
you'll find that it won't be too long before you want to put up something
different/bigger. A Ham IV or Yaesu 450 or even an Alliance HD-73 will work.
Used, refurbished rotators are available from The Rotor Doctor
(www.rotordoc.com) and Norm's Rotor Service
(http://www.tiac.net/users/shiacawn/rotors/).

>  Will I see a significant difference going from 40 to 50 ft?

      Nope.

>  I have been a ham for 35 years and this is my first tower!

     Congratulations! You'll have a ball now that conditions are picking up.

     If you need the Rohn Catalog, they're five bucks from TOWER TECH, Box
572, Woodinville, WA, 98072. It's got all the specs in it.

73 and GL,  Steve  K7LXC