[TowerTalk] What to do???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What to do???
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 19:47:15 -0600 (MDT)
 I had 3 TH6 s up
>at 110, 76, 38 feet. They did not work very well at all.......indavidually
>they were fine but as a stack
>they were about worthless.....used a Dunstar stacking box........
>
>73 and Good Contesting and DX....
>
>Jim W7RY
>Spokane Washington

Jim,

I just put up four TH7s at 40/80/120/160 ft.  They broke the
records in 3,4,5,6,7,9,and 0-land in both the CQWW CW
on 20M and in ARRL DX CW on 20M.

So stacked tribanders work VERY well.  If they did not
work well for you then there must have been something
else going on.  Were they all REALLY in phase?  Not
just trusting to the marking on the Baluns, but confirmed
by measurements. All the feedlines really equal?

I just can't believe that the 3-some was not very good when
the individual TH6s were FB without a phase problem
somewhere.

Going TOO high can be a problem, especially on 20M.
Over 100ft will get you into a situation where the angle
of arrival of the signals during the middle of an opening
may be in the first null.  You need to look at angles of
arrival and do some modeling for your location--based on
what you want to do with the array.

73  John  W0UN