[TowerTalk] Rustng Tower Base Bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rustng Tower Base Bolts
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:46:21 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-13 19:17:39 EDT, tom_g@pacbell.net writes:

<< I have a 26 year old tower installation.  Many of the bolts extending from
 the tower base that support the tower have lost about a quarter inch of
 their 1 inch diameter due to rust (very corrosive atmosphere near the
 ocean).  It is not feasible to install a new base, so the alternatives are
 to remove the tower permanently or somehow use the existing base.  I have
 heard people allude to drilling new holes in the base (obviously quite
 deep) and epoxying in new bolts.  Does anyone have any experience doing
 that?  If so, how do you avoid hitting rebar in the base?  Any other ideas
 (other than selling the rig)? >>

      Get a machine shop to build you a fixture that will bolt onto your
existing tower base big enough so you can attach additional anchor bolts to
it. You can either bolt or weld the new fixture in place. The dimensions
aren't critical - you're adding to the existing steel. Rent a concrete
drill/corer and drill appropriate new holes to match the ones in your new
fixture (you can field drill everything). The concrete drill bit will cut
through rebar.

     Clear out the debris in the new holes and install new anchor bolts/all-
thread. You can use an industrial epoxy to glue them in place. Check the
Yellow Pages for an industrial supply house. Let them dry and bolt them down.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC