[TowerTalk] Re: Quads not as good as Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Quads not as good as Yagis
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 07:47:00 -1000
At 07:44 AM 5/2/98 -0400, Charles H. Harpole wrote:

>When there are tests which place the tested antennas on equal height
>towers, at the same general location, i.e., all things being equal, and
>then the tested ants are used in rcve and xmit to distant stations.
>Then quickly switched from one to the other, getting r and xmit readings
>in this real world situation.
>Then, I am ready to listen to the results.

Hi,   Just such a series of test,  between continents,  was published
in some detail in Communications Quarterly,  in about the Spring
or Summer of 1992.   I am pretty sure it was that year,  since
I put up a 4 element Cubic Quad,  30 foot boom that Spring.

Unfortunately,  it only lasted until the following September,
probably less than 5 months QRV,  when Hurricane Iniki turned
it into a pretzel -- 160+ mph winds were just too much for both
the boom and the fiber glass spreaders.  Fun while it lasted.
Iniki also took away the accumulated collection of ham magazines,
thus the article date uncertainty.

Replaced with a strong,  heavy Mosley -- TA-34-XL,  which I am
pretty sure has a little gain,  at least it is directional,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai