[TowerTalk] Lightning rod on top

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning rod on top
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 23:39:35 -0700
Guys, static dissipators are supposed to wear down. Their job is NOT
to prevent a stike, but to keep the potential of the device they're
attached to low, supposedly making it less of a target.

In my flying days, I have taken direct hits so many times I can't count
them. And yes, it scares the S... out of you every time.

One favorite spot in the Boeings was the bolt which attached the
wiper blade to the windshield....that thing accounted for about 95%
of my hits ( and of course, it was mounted about 2 feet in front of my
face )

Comparing this and other hits, an irregular surface seems to be the key.

73

Ed