[TowerTalk] Wind on the Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wind on the Yagi
From: gareth@capecod.net (Gareth Crispell)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 12:46:46 -0400
I realize this was discussed at some length a few months ago, but I
thought I would share a few empirical observations with you. We have
had hideous wx on Cape Cod for some 13 days now. For the last 5 days
the wind has been roaring down off the North Atlantic with frequent
gusts to 30-35 knots. I know this isn't very scientific, but I have
observed my beam behavior over the last few days quite closely. This
is what I have seen:

Bad  =  If the boom is inline with the direction of the wind so that
the elements are broadside to the wind this was terrible. The old
yagi danced like a crazed sailor on his first shore leave in a year!

Much better = Just the opposite. Elements inline with the wind and
boom broadside.

Real Good = There was no real good!

It is entirely possible someone else has had just the reverse
experience, but this is what is going on on the old salt marsh. All
you guys who have worked me, know how I feel about the marsh.

de ... N1MSV    (gary)
--

.....at the dawn of the New Age of Man,
     they will abide with us.