[TowerTalk] Wind on the Yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wind on the Yagi
From: wd4ngb@m2.sprynet.com (Bruce Richards)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 17:03:17 +0000
This is all dependent on the antenna. If you have a  2 ele tribander the
boom is going to be the preferred thing to catch the wind since it is so
short and has less to catch the wind .  If you have a 55 foot long ,
10 meter monobander, ill point it " into" the wind every time.  Traps
catch a lot of wind, and so does the
boom. You just have to look at "your" system, and make the  decision.

Gareth Crispell wrote:

> I realize this was discussed at some length a few months ago, but I
> thought I would share a few empirical observations with you. We have
> had hideous wx on Cape Cod for some 13 days now. For the last 5 days
> the wind has been roaring down off the North Atlantic with frequent
> gusts to 30-35 knots. I know this isn't very scientific, but I have
> observed my beam behavior over the last few days quite closely. This
> is what I have seen:
>
> Bad  =  If the boom is inline with the direction of the wind so that
> the elements are broadside to the wind this was terrible. The old
> yagi danced like a crazed sailor on his first shore leave in a year!
>
> Much better = Just the opposite. Elements inline with the wind and
> boom broadside.
>
> Real Good = There was no real good!
>
> It is entirely possible someone else has had just the reverse
> experience, but this is what is going on on the old salt marsh. All
> you guys who have worked me, know how I feel about the marsh.
>
> de ... N1MSV    (gary)
> --
>

> .....at the dawn of the New Age of Man,
>      they will abide with us.
>      Their glory and fire will burn like
>      sparks among the stubble!
>
>  Gareth
>
>  http://www.capecod.net/~gareth
>
> --

Bruce Richards / WD4NGB (No Good Bum)  (ex HL9JV)
DX Web Page http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wd4ngb
Mirror Site http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/9941
Space A DX  http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/9846
50 Miles North West of Nashville Tn