[TowerTalk] Re: Tower Permit Questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Tower Permit Questions
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 13:44:03 -0500
Thanks to all who have responded regarding my tower permitting question.
The overwhelming opinion is that I shouldn't really have any problem
getting a permit for my tower.

I have an appointment with the Director of the Community Planning
Department on Thursday to get his take on the matter and to ask for a
clarification on the ordinances as they apply to hams, so we'll see what
happens...

My only real worry now is that they'll argue that, even though amateur
towers less than 70 ft are specifically exempted from the special use
permit requirements, towers still fall under the 35 foot generic height
limit for all "structures" in a residential area.  Which will bring up
my question : Why would they explicitly say *70 ft* when the limit is
*35 ft* anyway? There must have been some intent when they came up with
the 70 ft limit; I hope to find out what that intent was.

I've faxed them a copy of PRB-1 and the (relevant) FCC regs in advance,
with a note saying I was sure they were already aware of the FCCs
position, but was faxing the info anyway - hopefully that won't make
them bristle too much.

Wish me luck - will report back here after the meeting and let you all
know how it goes...

-Marty KI0LO
 martyt@pobox.com