[TowerTalk] Guy Wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Wires
From: k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King)
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 16:03:02
At 11:32 AM 5/22/98 -0400, W2XX wrote:
>While we're on the subject of guys and tensioning, what is the
>method used to pre-tension the guys before attaching the turnbuckles
>to the anchor rod equalizing plates?
>
>I don't think I can pull them anywhere close to 670 pounds on
>my own :-)
>
>Also, how close to spec do you need to pull them before terminating
>the guys with the final big grip and turnbuckle?  I can't see
>that the turnbuckle has all that much adjustment ability; or does
>it?
>
>I am completely unfamiliar with these things and my guy wire materials
>will be arriving some time next week.

I use the following tools:

Two cable pullers for 1/4" EHS (Available from Klein or other companies)
One come-along
One Loos guy wire tensioner
One EHS cable cutter

Then I do this:

1. Open the turnbuckles up to their maximum width. (I don't open them
beyond still having the threads rotating-center-part still completely
overlapping with threads of the ends.)

2. Put the guywire through the turnbuckle and the thimble and pull the end
back towards the tower on all three guy wires. Cut the guy wire at this
time if it is too long and needs to be shortened. Pull the guywire to
hand-pull tightness and temporary clamp each cable. (I use one clamp at
this time).

3. Attach one of the cable pullers on the end of a single guy wire and the
other up the guy wire towards the tower with the pull loops facing towards
each other.

4. Attach the come-along between the two cable pullers and take out the slack.

5. Remove the temporary clamp.

6. Tighten the guy cable to about a third the desired tension using the
Loos Gauge. (This would be about 200 Lbs of pull for 1/4" EHS.)

7. Replace the temporary cable clamp.

8. Repeat steps 3 through 7 for each of the other two guy cables.

9. After all three guy wires are done, repeat steps 3 through 7 and tension
each of the three guy wires to about 500 Lbs of pull.

10. Triple-clamp each guy wire and remove all cable pullers and come-along.

11. Using the Loos Gauge, finish tensioning each guy cable to 660 Lbs of
tension using the turnbuckles to tighten.

12. When complete, loop safety cable through the anchor, turnbuckles, and
guy wire thimble. Don't wait to do this at a later date.

That's my procedure and it works for me.

73, Richard

K5NA@BGA.COM
http://www.realtime.net/~k5na