[TowerTalk] Raising mast?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Raising mast?
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 16:45:57 -0700
Charles H. Harpole wrote:

> The problem I have had with the method given below is that IFif a (and > it
> ususally IS) the upper pulley is some distance horiz. from the  >center line
> vert. of the mast, then the further the mast gets pulled >up,  the greater
> the horiz sidewise pressure on it, it seems.  This sidewise pressure from
> the rope and pulley arrangement binds the mast in the thrust bearing (even
> tho the bearing is fully opened, i.e., not tightened) and keeps the mast....

In following this thread, I have seen very little concern for the fact
that a 130 pound mass is depending on ropes and TBs to hold it
temporarily.

In the first place, once the mast is 1/2 through the TB, switch the
cable or whatever to the other end of the mast. The ratio of 6 or 7
inches to 24 feet will then become insignificant.

I've done it alone twice. ( well, had a tractor the first time )

But you better pay equal attention to keeping that thing in place while
ropes, cables, ect. are moved. You should ALWAYS put a muffler clamp
right above the TB and lower it as the mast raises...remember the rule,
the guy on the tower is not supposed to do any work which could be done
by others.

And finally once that sucker is above the rotor, safety that thing so
there is NO possibility it can slip. I mean double muffler clamps,
the TB as tight as it will be, some form of blocking inside the tower,
and then, and ONLY then, put your hands under that mast.

Unless of course, you'd rather have it slip and break your hand, which
takes about 6 weeks to heal partially. Those 4" pins they put in mine
sure made for conversation pieces.

73

Ed