[TowerTalk] Lifting a Rohn 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lifting a Rohn 25G
From: w5robert@blkbox.com (Robert W5AJ)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:29:49 -0500
My spell checker musta changed NCJ to NCI....
Here's correct version.

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lifting a Rohn 25G
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 16, 1998 12:17 AM

It took a while to find the excellent write-up on W3GM
in NCJ May 1991 but here is a statement in the write-up:

"All of his towers, which include several 100-footers,
fold over at the base with hinge and gin-pole assemblies.
A hand-drill-driven boat winch easily brings his big
antennas down to a height where he can work on them alone."
NCJ, May 1991 quote.

I called Gerry on the phone in 91 as I was interested
in the 40 meter beam on 100 foot tower.  Gerry (with health problems then)
said it was 25G and he lifted it all - tower, beam, guys & rotator at once.
 Special high gin pole for lift cable and I seem to recall he said the
support cable
connected in more than one location and guys were in place with 2 sets?
connected
to ground supports on starting the lift.

Can anyone that helped or saw the operation of these base hinged towers
tell us more??

73  Robert W5AJ