[TowerTalk] More Guy Anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More Guy Anchors
From: ke4rna@Traveller.COM (Donnie Murray (KE4RNA))
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 21:19:56 +0000

> I am getting ready to install my 80ft of Rohn 45G. I have the base and all
> three of the guy-anchor spots marked off, out in my "North 40." Rather than
> manually digging these holes, I was planning on enlisting the services
> (again) of my Rural Electric Company, and their power pole auger. I plan to
> have them auger down about 8-9 ft and about 18-24" in diameter. Does anyone
> see a problem with round guy anchor bases?? I do plan to have elevated guys,
> about 4-5ft out of the ground.
> Looking forward to ALL replies, mispelled or not ;)
>

> Chuck Sudds  K0TVD
> Missouri Valley, Iowa USA
>
> http://www.probe.net/~beakers/

I just got through installing 80 feet of Rohn 45G. I have some
good advice. Use Rohn specs on everything. The depth of the holes,
the geometry of the holes, the distance from the tower base for the
anchors, the number of guys and the proper size of guy wire. Use all
Rohn hardware on the tower such as guy brackets, torque arms ect. Use
only the very best EHS guy cable, insulators, preformed guy grips
ect. The cure time on the concrete is very important. Here is a site
that will help you determine the importance and technique for proper
curing.
http://www.jaybird-mfg.com/concrete.html
Look at the Rohn specs, get the re-bar in the ground and the concrete
poured. You can be getting all your other " ducks in a row " while
the concrete cures.
Six men gave me a Saturday and we installed eight sections of
tower, including one on the top,complete with two bearings, mast and
rotor, using a gin pole, and three sets of guy wires. The heat was
severe here in Alabama. We dropped a nice heavy plumb-bob through the
center of the tower for alignment and torqued the guy wires. The plan
was to use a tram line to raise the Mosely Pro 95 to the top. After
weighing all options I decided to use a crane to set the antenna.
Hind sight being what it is, I could have assembled the tower on the
ground in two 40 foot sections and used the crane to stand them up,
put the guy wires down, and raised the antenna in about 2-3 hours. Oh
well, maybe this will help someone else to do it the easy and
certainly the safest way. It has already survived an 80 MPH straight
line wind and is rated for much more. I hope high wind don't come,
but I have done everything by the book, cut no corners, using proven
methods to install things here.
By the way, the PRO-95 plays REAL NICE!
73/DX,
DONNIE, KE4RNA