[TowerTalk] Screw Anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Screw Anchors
From: csus04@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com (Raymond Dave-CSUS04)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:42:26 -0500
The biggest problem I've seen with screw in anchors has nothing to do
with the "screw" portion pulling out of the soil.  I have witnessed one
situation where the  welds that hold the screw to the rod failed. . .
the rod pulled nicely out of screw, leaving the screw portion in place.
Needless to say, the tower went down.  Fortunately, it was not mine.

Here in central Iowa in just the past month alone, we have had winds in
excess of 80 mph on four different occasions.  One occasion saw strait
winds of 123 mph at N0NI's qth just east of Des Moines (his 8 towers
survived nicely).  For that reason, I use concrete anchors and rods per
the Rohn specs. . . and I sleep well.

73 to all. . . Dave
W0FLS