[TowerTalk] Re: resonance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: resonance
From: W8JI@aol.com (W8JI@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 14:10:12 EDT

<<
 In a case like the beam, where the resistive impedance may be in the 20-30
 ohms range, and the required capacitive reactance for a beta match may be
 also in the 20 to 30 ohms range, the SWR will be well over 2:1, and the
 impedance along the 50-ohm line will change its R and X values fairly
 rapidly.  Hence, the need for a well-calibrated 1/2 wl line to determine
 the load values accurately.

 Hope this is useful.

 -73-

 LB, W4RNL >>

Hi LB,

Thanks. You are correct of course when measuring complex impedance. In that
case only a line of zero or a multiple of 1/2 wl, or SWR of 1:1 will present
correct results and only at or very close to one frequency.

RESONANCE (zero reactance crossing) can be directly measured if the line is
zero length or a multiple (even or odd) of 1/4 wl, or if SWR at resonance is
1:1.

Like the quarter wave line, the half wave line is the correct length at only
one frequency in the band of interest.

The new analyzer contains two software functions I disagreed strongly with
including, because they cause confusion like this. One is mismatch loss (or
percent transmitter power or match efficiency in some units, I missed that
thread while putting up my new very high 160 meter dipole --- what luck !!)
the other is a resonance mode.

I explained away those functions by pretty much saying they don't mean much
and can be confusing to nearly any user. From this thread, I see my worryment
was correct! I'll now push harder to have them removed.

The last thing I want to see is someone thinking 32% transmitted power means
most of his power is not being radiated, or that zero reactance measured some
distance from the feedpoint (by itself) means the antenna is resonant.

73 Tom