[TowerTalk] CATV hardline connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATV hardline connectors
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 10:42:35
At 07:37 PM 7/7/98 -0400, Jerry wrote:
>Hello, Pete
>
>I have a lot (maybe a thousand feet) of the approx 7/8 OD 75 OHM Cable coax
>also, and plan to use it on my next antenna project. I also have some 8213
>75 Ohm stuff, and plan to use it also at the ends, but I am curious:
>
>How did you make the transition from the hardline to the 213? I am tempted
>to simply bring out the conductors separately and bolt the connectors
>together, ignoring the "coaxial" aspect. Did you find a better way?

Yes.  Credit K9UWA and W9LT for this idea.  Assuming it's really a little
over 3/4" like most CATV 75-ohm hardline, use a 1/2 inch water pipe to 1/2
inch copper tubing plumbing adaptor (Home Depot item) plus an Amphenol
barrel connector.  The Amphenol part is important because they have a snap
ring holding the innards in one end.  Once it's removed, they all come out.
 You solder one end of the inner conductor of the connector to the inner
conductor of the hardline, solder the barrel connector shell inside the
adaptor (closed end out), then put the insulators back in the barrel and
screw the whole adaptor assembly on the end of the hardline (you'll need to
adjust the length of the shield and/or center conductor so it comes out
right).  I use Noalox both to ensure a good shield connection and to
lubricate the adaptor as it cuts its own threads in the hardline shield.
Finally, wrap well with electrical tape -- use whatever your favorite
method is to prevent water getting in.

I think this results in better shield continuity and better mechanical
integrity than just splitting the hardline shield and using a tubing clamp
plus tape.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"