[TowerTalk] RE: K8DX Tower Collapse--Conv. wisdom ain't so!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: K8DX Tower Collapse--Conv. wisdom ain't so!
From: k0sd@juno.com (k0sd@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:49:14 -0400
Worse case senario of this I've encountered in my work is a broadcast
tower close to Shelby, NC that was lifted off the ground, (twisted off by
a tornado), uprooting or breaking all guy wires, and then dropping pieces
of tower sections across several miles.   This happened several years
ago. More conventional is a situation where we had a bull dozer operator
cut the top guywire on one of our pyrod 330 ft guyed towers, and it
folded over about 50 ft down, which folded about 50 ft down again &
again, till all was on the ground in less than a 100 ft radius.  No wind
was involved in this failure.

73's de Stephen, K0SD in NC

Rick's point is well taken. I submit that once guy wires are broken, all
bets are off regarding "convention wisdom". From what I could see on the
ground at Scott's (K8DX) location, it appeared that no guy wires had
broken - but until all of the downed trees are cleared, I cannot even be
absolutely sure of that.

My condolences to both Rick and Scott for their losses - it is
heartbreaking
to see so many dollars and man-hours of effort destroyed in just a few
moments.

Amateur Radio Station K3GP - P.O. Box 343 - Louisville, Ohio 44641
      Station Location - Alliance, Ohio - Grid Square EN90kv
         Amateur Radio Home Page: http://www.qsl.net/k3gp
  Vegetarian - An old Indian word meaning "I don't hunt so good"

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]