[TowerTalk] KT-34XA problem during re-capping

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT-34XA problem during re-capping
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:42:46 -0400
Recently brought my KT-34XA down to re-cap and had no problem with the
elements until I came to the Dir 3.

I found that all I needed to re-cap (since I used the new kit in 1986) was
to remove the element tip assembly.   I then remove the rod assembly with
the 4 caps in each section.  The tip from K1KP about heating up the blue
caps worked well and there was no major problem.   I then test them on a
spare center element on a short 9' pole in the back yard.  (For both real
and MFJ259 SWR).

I did one side of the dir 3 and then started on the other side.  Everything
went well except I had to slightly loosen the 15 meter shorting strap on the
main element side.  As I put it all back all the dimensions are correct but
the 15 meter shorting strap will not tighten down on the main element side
(the 20 meter tip is on that side).   I get the shorting bar to the right
place across the sections but I cannot fully tighten the strap and it slips
about 1/4 inch back the element (making ther 20 tip slightly longer.  I also
notice that it slips around the 20 meter tip section.  I broke two bolts as
I tried to tighten down too hard with my socket.  I finally wrapped each
side with some top notch electrical tape so the strap would not move.  It
makes good electrical contact even with a sensitive digital ohm meter
but I have no tried it with 15 meter RF or on the MFJ 259.  (hey its 11PM).

Why is it that of all the 15 meter shorting straps this one is loose?
Everything else is tight and in line with the manual.   Anyone have an
answer?

Thanks.

Dave K4JRB