[TowerTalk] KT-34XA problem during re-capping

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT-34XA problem during re-capping
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:15:23 +0100

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:42:46 -0400 thompson@mindspring.com writes:

>the 15 meter shorting strap will not tighten down on the main element
>side (the 20 meter tip is on that side).

A friend of mine had the same problem with his used XA.
Apparently some of the straps deform or stretch, depending
on exactly how they are positioned when they are tightened
down the first time. In his case, we solved the problem with
some inserts made of aluminum flashing material, available at
your local building materials store. KLM is also quite
responsive in providing replacement parts.

While the antenna is down, measure the DC resistance between
the 10 meter capacitor can to the 15 meter capacitor can. If
the element half is soldily assembled, the resistance should
be about 0.5 ohm. This one measurement tests EVERY connection
in the entire trap assembly.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]