[TowerTalk] MFJ259B: Vers. 6F0 vs. 6F1 ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ259B: Vers. 6F0 vs. 6F1 ?
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 07:30:55 +0100
Jim Reid wrote:

>Setting the 259B to a precise frequency is just about NOT possible!
>Even on 40 meters,  just a touch of the tuning knob,  and the frequency
>deltas several kHz;  and on the higher bands,  it jumps 10's.  At
>least mine does.  Certainly no indication that there is any sort of
>reduction gear inside.  My older 259 had a small variable cap
>on the other end of the tuning knob;  my 259B almost certainly
>is the same from the way it behaves,  hi.

Maybe we're being spoiled by these modern slow-tuning transceivers. It's
perfectly possible to set the 259 to 10kHz at 7MHz, which is closer than
almost any real antenna system could recognise. There is a slow-motion
drive built into the tuning capacitor on the 259, and presumably the
259B is the same. Frequency setting is miles better than the RF-1 - now
*that* is tricky!

>All in all,  with these fast paced software changes coming out
>with new 259B's,  you would almost think MFJ ought to have
>waited a few months until all the "bugs" were out,   maybe,
>and the frequency synthesizer was ready to go.

It's the Dayton Effect - both the 259B and the AEA-CIA "had" to be ready
for the show, because there were hams waiting to buy them, and I guess
we all have to share some of that responsibility. But even now both
firms are still tweaking the firmware. Maybe the next hardware releases
will have a bi-directional RS-232 port for both data download *and*
uploading of the week's new firmware?

BTW, unless the synthesizer in the new AEA-CIA has been totally
redesigned, it's not DDS but similar technology to a VHF handheld,
followed by a downconverter to give an unbroken sweep across HF and up
to 54MHz.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek