[TowerTalk] FAA stuff (and FCC registration too)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FAA stuff (and FCC registration too)
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:56:00 -0700

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:56:48
>From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
>
>At 01:21 AM 7/17/98 -0500, Robert W5AJ wrote:
>
>>Another item I found of interest is to call the FAA and ask
>>them what they do if you call in and report your lights are
>>off.  (you do have their number right there in the shack in
>>case this happens?) You need to properly follow the rules &
>>light the tower regardless....
>
>While we're on the subject, I was surprised to discover a
>(relatively) new requirement for FCC registration of any towers
>that require FAA approval.  I didn't see any exception for
>amateurs, so this may be a new paper issue for you guys with the
>really tall towers.
>
>73, Pete Smith N4ZR
>n4zr@contesting.com
>
>"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"

Pete,

You are correct.  It definitely is a paper issue for the guys
with really tall towers.  The FAA requirements are not waived for
amateur towers.  Anything over 200 feet (unshielded) must be
registered and comply with all the FAA marking and lighting
requirements.  Heights shorter than this are also affected if
they fall within the defined protection zones around airports.

The tower owner must do the research to determine whether the
tower is within 3.8 miles of an airport (any airport).  If the
tower is within this radius, then the tower owner must determine
whether the airport "counts" and if it does, calculate the
permitted height at the tower location based on the formula the
FAA provides in the regulations.  Anything higher than this must
be registered amd marked as required by the FAA.

I believe that we are required to certify to the FCC that our
towers are either short enough to not require FAA notification or
that the FAA has been notified (if the tower is not short enough
to avoid registration requirements).  For commercial license
applications, this is a line item on the application.  I haven't
seen a new amateur application in a long time.  But I believe
that this either is or will soon become a line item on the
station license application form just like the RF Hazard
certification.

In fact, I just looked at the form 610 on the FCC's site.  In the
instructions they claim that this has been a requirement since
1996.  And that a form 854 (same one used for commercial sites)
must be filed with the FCC for any tower that requires FAA
notification.

73, Eric  N7CL