[TowerTalk] Re: FAA Lighting Req'ts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: FAA Lighting Req'ts
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 13:35:00 -0700
Pat, I have very serious doubts that you will have any problems. Even if
they extend the runway to 13000 feet ( in case an Air Force pilot has to
land there ) you are still a mile from the airport, and restrictions
regarding heights, UNLESS they have been changed, specifically deal with
the APPROACH path, not the whole shebang around the airport. For
instance
if the runway was East-West, and you are either (you know what ) or
South of the airport, the regulations don't apply to you. Think of all
those high rise motels and such around airports..they're not in the
approach path, so they're perfectly legal.

And in dealing with the approach path, a 3.5:1 glide slope ( if I
remember correctly ) is assummed, with protection both above and below
the slope. Remember also, that if any terrain or trees exist which are
higher than your tower, you're automatically exempted. An example in
a modern commercial job would put the aircraft about 300-400 feet in
altitude at a distance of 1 mile.

73

Ed