[TowerTalk] Bees

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bees
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:21:23 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/98 7:02:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
k4sb@mindspring.com writes:

<< The protein in the venom caused an
 exaggerated reaction. >>

Yep, its called anfalactic (sp?) shock. All of the blood vessels in your body
constrict, as does your airway. Given a severe enough reaction, you die
shortly thereafter. The best prevention is to take an antihistamine tablet
immediately after being stung. If you are prone to severe reaction (which
changes with age), keep an "Ana-kit" near by. It has antihistamine tablets,
plus two dosages of epinephrine, which will get you to the hospital emergency
room before your body shuts down. My wife (K7AFO) has severe food allergies,
which have the same effect. We usually know how close we are to an emergency
room cuz she has been close to death twice from small amounts of avocado.

Tom, K5RC/7