[TowerTalk] Stacking dissimilar antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking dissimilar antennas
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 23:59:56 +0100
Bob,

It is very important that the antennas, feedline (electrical) lengths and
alignment of the antennas in the vertical plane (for a vertical stack) be
identical for a stack to perform optimally.

To the extent any of these parameters is not identical, you lose
performance.  Critically, if the antennas are not identical, the electrical
lengths will not be identical and therefore, the beam will not form its
desired in-phase pattern and the full stacking gain will not be achieved.
Different electrical length feedlines will do the same thing.

I use identical antennas with equal electrical length feedlines. I achieve
equal electrical length feedlines by using a TDR (time domain reflectometer)
to measure the cables. I use TIC RingRotors to ensure the antennas are in
near-exact vertical plane alignment.  [Disclosure: I am a TIC authorized
factory representative].  But, I am also a happy TIC customer!!

73,

Bill, N3RR
http://www.erols.com/n3rr
http://www.erols.com/n3rr/n3ringrotor/index.htm