[TowerTalk] Stacking dissimilar antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking dissimilar antennas
From: chapoton@smtp-gw.gdls.com (Henry G Chapoton)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:30:17 -0400
     Bob:

     You want to use identical antennas as N3RR pointed out.  Also, to
     insure equal currents, you want to use feedlines from the antenna to
     the common point (t/b/l switch, etc) that are equal AND a 1/4 w.
     multiple.  There is much in the published literature on this point.

     Anecdotal experience:  I had a dissimilar stack, 3/2 on 40 mtr.  That
     was mistake #1.  Mistake #2 was having equal length but NOT 1/4 w.
     multiple feedlines to each antenna.  It worked "ok" on cw, but I could
     work ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on ssb using both.  The impedence of the
     antennas didn't track the same over the large frequency excursion.
     Never tried to figure out exactly what was happening at the common
     feedpoint, but suspect major phasing errors (from 0 deg) and major
     current imbalance.  I played around a little with a model, and found
     that the physical misalignment of the antennas was causing phasing
     errors, correctable by either moving the bottom beam forward (not
     mechanically practical) or via a feedline phasing correction (which
     would introduce current balance problems).  I concluded that this
     stack would only be marginally effective over a very narrow bandwidth
     - if I did a lot more work electrically.  Given the inherent
     mechanical problems of so much antenna, the above electrical problems,
     and other interactions, I took the bottom beam down and wrote off the
     project as an interesting experiment and learning experience.

     I think if you stack the 3 antennas you mention, you will be quite
     disappointed.  You may find a frequency or situation that they like
     but certainly your performance over the band will suffer.

     To get an idea of the tradeoffs, do a little modeling.  Echoing n4kg,
     you may find that 3 antennas on 10 will work as well as 4.  Boom
     length will be a big factor.  The f/b is much easier to maximize with
     3 antennas vs. 4.  Finally, an antenna needs to be optimized in the
     stack, NOT as a stand-alone beam.  An antenna optimized in a stack
     will perform well by itself.  One optimized by itself will have
     degraded performance in a stack, particularly f/b.  See Lawson's book
     on stacking.

     Good luck!

     Greg
     na8v/4