[TowerTalk] TA-33 feed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TA-33 feed
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:56:18 -0400
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: Wednesday, July 22, 1998 10:18 AM
>

> In a message dated 98-07-22 09:05:33 EDT, amaertz@oppd.com writes:
>
> > My questions:  should a 1:1 balun be used at the beam or is that not
> >  recommended?
>
>       I would tend to follow the LXC Prime Directive: DO what the
manufacturer
> says. And don't do what they don't say.

Not in this case. The TA-33 will absolutely benefit from use of a choke
balun at the feedpoint. It is idiotic for any antenna "engineer" to NOT use
a balun when feeding a balanced load with an unbalanced line, unless the
intention is to excite the boom, tower, feedline and everything else as
part of the antenna.

By all means, either use ferrite beads or a coiled up length of coax as a
**choke balun**. It will improve antenna performance by divorcing the
balanced element from the unbalanced feedline.

73 Tom