[TowerTalk] PL-259's at VHF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PL-259's at VHF
From: amaertz@oppd.com (MAERTZ, ALLISON R)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:18:57 -0500
Greetings:

I hope this is the right reflector for this question.

I am installing a VHF/UHF system with a Kenwood TR-7850 and two M^2
yagis.  Feedlines are 65 feet of 9913 with 9913 F jumpers at the rotator
to allow rotation/elevation.  Of course I'll use 'N' connectors for the
UHF connections except at the rig where Kenwood has an SO-239 (this
creates five N connections plus the PL-259/SO-239 at the rig for a total
of six connections).  On the VHF side, I have the same number of
connections, but...

        My questions:

        a.  Is the total signal loss at 144 mhz through the standard
PL-259's significant with those six connections,
suggesting that I should use N connectors on my feed at 144 mhz as well
as at 436 mhz?

        (I've come across two schools of thought here relative to using
standard PL-259's at 144 mhz, as well as varying numbers on     the db
loss at these connectors at this frequency.)

        b.  Should the connection at the rig be modified at VHF or UHF
with a female N connector or an N->PL-259 connector in  order to minimze
loss or is it insignificant there?  (I believe Yaesu has 'N' connectors
on their rig)

73, Reid--W0FVR