[TowerTalk] PL-259's at VHF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] PL-259's at VHF
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:25:04 -0500
Reid, there is pretty good data on insertion loss out there that shows,
at 450, .09 db per PL vs 0 per N, and at 150, .01 per PL vs 0 per N.
---Your choice!
A good plan is to avoid changing out what's on the rig and using adapters
- both tend to work out badly.  Best approach is to have the appropriate
conn. on the coax, whichever your chose.
73,
Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE bargain page
Our 21st year!

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:18:57 -0500 "MAERTZ, ALLISON R" <amaertz@oppd.com>
writes:

>Greetings:
>
>I hope this is the right reflector for this question.
>
>I am installing a VHF/UHF system with a Kenwood TR-7850 and two M^2
>yagis.  Feedlines are 65 feet of 9913 with 9913 F jumpers at the
>rotator
>to allow rotation/elevation.  Of course I'll use 'N' connectors for
>the
>UHF connections except at the rig where Kenwood has an SO-239 (this
>creates five N connections plus the PL-259/SO-239 at the rig for a
>total
>of six connections).  On the VHF side, I have the same number of
>connections, but...
>
>       My questions:
>
>       a.  Is the total signal loss at 144 mhz through the standard
>PL-259's significant with those six connections,
>suggesting that I should use N connectors on my feed at 144 mhz as
>well
>as at 436 mhz?
>
>       (I've come across two schools of thought here relative to
>using
>standard PL-259's at 144 mhz, as well as varying numbers on    the
>db
>loss at these connectors at this frequency.)
>
>       b.  Should the connection at the rig be modified at VHF or UHF
>with a female N connector or an N->PL-259 connector in         order
>to minimze
>loss or is it insignificant there?  (I believe Yaesu has 'N'
>connectors
>on their rig)
>
>73, Reid--W0FVR
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]