[TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Problem...maybe

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Problem...maybe
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 16:56:17 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-24 15:52:44 EDT, g.w.clark@cummins.com writes:

<< My next step will be to bump the bottom antenna off of the bearing and
 loosen the bearing to see if it spins freely. If not.....what do I do?

       I don't know if the antenna sitting on the bearing is a problem, it
usually isn't. I would suggest loosening the U-bolts on the T2X and then
trying to turn the mast/antennas by hand. That'll tell you whether you have a
bearing problem or rotator problem.

     It might be a starting problem with the T2X.

>> My option is to "build" some type of bearing in-place on the tower or
 remove 2 large mono-banders plus a big mast.(which I would like to
 avoid).

     If the bearing is the problem, you're in the doo-doo. Since the T2X can
take a reasonable amount of vertical deadload, move the mast and bearing up an
inch or so so that the bearing is just floating on the mast. That'll get
everything operational with little downside problem.

     If you want to replace the bearing, you'll have to disassemble and then
reassemble everything.

>>Any suggestions??  I've heard of a wooden bearing....is that something I
 could do?? >>

       Not really. The wood 'bearing' is really just a bushing for lateral
movement - lateral thrust.

      What kind of bearing is it? Is it one of those machine shop pillow
blocks that uses an allen screw to hold the mast or is it a real outdoor
thrust bearing like a Rohn? The pillow block types are not meant to be used
outdoors and they WILL rust.
Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC