[TowerTalk] Bell Labs Video on SWR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bell Labs Video on SWR
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 12:14:04 -1000
Aloha,

I have just had a look at this old video.
Obviously must date back as a film to the '50's.
Is titled,  "Similarities  in  Wave Behavior".

At one point the narrator becomes poetic as he
nears his conclusion when he says,  "Our world
simply abounds in wave behaviors of all kinds:
acoustic,  optical,  and radio!"

Anyway,  if you really want to actually see standing
waves on a machine used in physics lab courses,
this is the video for you.  Explains what propagating
and standing waves are,  and how they grow;  what
resonance is,  how to determine the wave ratio,  and
much more,  including reflection coefficient.

Only item not discussed and demonstrated is how
energy is still transferred into the "dashpot" cylinder
load when there is swr on the transmission media.

Film even shows an impedance transformer in action
between two dissimilar lines with differing propagation
velocities!

I used the video years ago when I was teaching a class
in microwaves;  students,  then at least,  thought it was
of great help to their understanding.

I am looking into ways to make copies for several who
have already requested same.  Obviously the copyrights
are long gone up in the passing of much time.

Any others interested?  Maybe if enough interest,  we can
get some pro outfit to make copies from my copy,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai