[TowerTalk] Force 12 C-3S (long, the rest of the story)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C-3S (long, the rest of the story)
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:20:10 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-04 09:04:50 EDT, n7ex@athenet.net writes:

>  I then set out to check for bad coax which
>  turned out to be quite tricky as I have 5 different pieces of coax in this
>  line and two of them were bad!

      This is a common problem. My last two "antenna" problems for customers
were both in the shack - one was a bad piece of coax and the other was a
flakey coax switch.

     The best thing to do when confronted with a similar problem is to plug
the antenna feedline DIRECTLY into the rig and see what you've got. If that's
fine, then start working backwards with the other stuff in the feedline. If
the SWR is still bad, then you know the problem is either the feedline, balun
or antenna.

    Sometimes I'll get a different reading at the end of the coax from my
MFJ259 than the rig in the shack. Go with what the rig sees since that's the
only criteria that matters.

    As far as Natan, he's W6XR/2 and answers lots of Force 12 product and
technical questions. Marianne (Mary) is Tom's dad's wife and she is the office
manager. Apparently Tom is out of the office until August 10. Anyone that has
a problem or question until then is even more SOL than usual.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC

http://www.championradio.com