[TowerTalk] Force 12 C-3S (long, the rest of the story)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12 C-3S (long, the rest of the story)
From: pizzabob@TWLakes.Net (Bob Lovell)
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:14:32 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave_K9NX <n7ex@athenet.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com <towertalk@contesting.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 04, 1998 8:05 AM

>... In all I made 7 phone calls, sent 3 FAX and 5 emails. In spite of a
>note to the reflector by Force 12 about E-mail vs FAX recently, none of my
>FAX were answered or acknowledged. One email was answered by someone named
>Natan who asked some pertinent questions, but never replied again. Although
>the literature refers to a direct dial number for "technical" inquiries.
>They will take technical questions on the 800 number. I respected that the
>800 number was for orders only for awhile but after the 4th phone call gave
>up and started using the 800 number. For the first 5 phone calls Tom ( who
>is apparently the only person qualified to answer technical questions a
>Force 12) was either out of town, out of the country or just plain
>unavailable. At phone call number 6 I was told that again Tom was not there
>and would not be back for two weeks. At this point I told the young lady
>that I wanted to return the antenna and get my money back. (whatever you do
>don't call her "sweet heart" that really pisses her off even when done
>nicely). She said no one had ever done that before (right ) and that I
>would have to talk to her supervisor someone named Mary. I adamantly asked
>her to have Mary call me with return instructions, after 4 hours no Mary. I
>called the 7th time and asked to talk to Mary this time. Mary came on and
>when I told her I wanted to return the antenna she promptly told me to hold
>on a minute and magically Tom came on the line. After lecturing me about
>calling his phone girl "sweet heart"  we got down to the real problem.
>
>...the C3S  is hard to beat in its size and weight class, but God help you
if
>you need a question answered. Will I buy another Force 12 antenna? Maybe in
>a couple of years after the drinking has killed a few more brain cells and
>I've forgotten my current level of frustration. 3 FAX, 5 E-mails and 7
>Phone calls is too much to ask.
>
>Dave
>K9NX

Dave, and everybody --

Hate to be cynical, but it's getting to be mega-frustration with the vast
majority of companies that we deal with these days.  With a few notable
exceptions, you have to suffer through automated "press one for this, two
for that..." and the inevitable "order in which it was received" and "call
may be monitored" crap, then an eternity on hold.

I had a tech-support question for a Tiger Direct computer I just bought, and
left their elevator music playing for five hours on my speaker phone's
second line before I needed to send a fax and had to hang it up!!  Today
they've got a message saying to call back on the next business day, as
they're having "telephony" problems.  Heck, I'd send my question in CW if I
could get through.

Just part of living in the '90s.  What will the '00s be like??

73,
Bob        KK4TD

P.S. -- Champion Radio Products is one of those aforementioned "notable
exceptions", at least in my brief experience.  Cheers!