[TowerTalk] Attaching guys to 45g

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Attaching guys to 45g
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:25:14 -0400
Hi Guys,

> The NEXT best method is to place a Preformed Guy Grip around the
> leg, including BOTH the upper and lower Z bracing corners in the loop.
> This reduces the stress on the welds compared to placing the loop
> around the leg above a step / weld position.

Be very careful weaving the grip over the small cross braces. The grip can
break or be weakened if it is only in contact with the small diameter
cross-brace rods, and not held flat against the large diameter leg.

I put my grips right around the nice fat smooth leg on lower guys, and use
Rohn guy brackets or home made brackets where wind load stresses are high
(near the top). I NEVER put the grip over the small braces, because they
hold the grip away from the leg and concentrate the stress all at one or
two sharp points. I decided this was the thing to do after seeing a MATV
antenna 45G fail because a grip broke where it was passed over the small
round brace.

73 Tom