[TowerTalk] Which Small Tribander for My Roof

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Which Small Tribander for My Roof
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:08:59 +0100

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:57:48 -0400 Jim Worthington <jimw@tstnet.com>
writes:

>I'm considering putting a small tribander on a roof tower. The roof
>peak is
>at about 38' and I plan to use a 5-6' tower (Create or Glen Martin).
>This is
>the best I can swing given my aesthetic constraints. I'm interested in
>using
>the yagi for DXing and domestic contesting.
>
>The question is which tribander.
>
>I've looked at the KLM KT-34A, Cushcraft A3S, Mosley TA-33, Hy-Gain
>TH3 Mk4
>and Force 12 C3 series choices. Do any of these antennas perform
>significantly better than the others? If not, I can easily make a
>choice
>based on other considerations.

I have a KT-34XA at 49 feet that works well for me. I have a
friend with a KT-34 at 50 feet two miles away, and when we get on
the air together for comparisons, nobody can tell any difference between
our signal strengths. KLM front to back ratio is only so-so, but the
front to side is good, and the gain seems to be there off the
front. SWR is flat across the entire band, and you can't blow up the
traps.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]