[TowerTalk] 40-2CD element fasteners

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40-2CD element fasteners
From: zettel@homer.libby.org (Steve Zettel)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:46:23 -0600
I'm going through my 40-2CD and "Leeson-izing" it. I'd like to do away with
the the clamps that Cushcraft supplies to hold the element segments
together -- less to snag on when replacing the antenna at the top of the
mast, a little less wind resistance, and (opinion) a better looking
installation.

I like the Force 12 method of using pop-rivets, but I wonder if this is a
prudent way to go with the much heavier 100+ mph strengthened 40-2CD
elements?

Anybody have any first hand experience with this? Recommendations as to
size of rivet and how many/orientation per element joint?

Libby, MT is in a 70 mph wind speed zone, and our average wind speed over
the year is just *2* mph, so rebuilding the 40-2CD may be overkill, but
every couple of years we get a wind storm or thunderstorm that uproots and
snaps off mature trees. Plus, I wanted the stronger boom so I could do away
with the boom truss and get the antenna up to the top of the mast.

Thanks for you comments,

Steve Zettel  KJ7CH
near Libby, MT USA