[TowerTalk] AB105 - The Curse

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AB105 - The Curse
From: Guy Olinger, K2AV" <k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:11:37 -0400

From: TOMK5RC@aol.com <TOMK5RC@aol.com>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Saturday, August 22, 1998 4:27 PM

>The Curse of Ft. Huachuca
>by Tom Taormina, K5RC
>
>I'm not often given to looking to the dark side for answers to inexplicable
>events, but, after a 20 year string of bizarre happenings, I am labeling
this
>one The Curse of Ft. Huachuca (wa-choo-ka). The origins of the curse may
never
>be known, so we pick up the story in the mid-1970's in Peoria, Arizona.

 .... quite a story ...

>Whether you are given to believe in the unexplained or inanimate objects
>having a spirit, I believe that in this case the Indian gods did not intend
>for that tower to be standing vertically. In deference to the evidence, it
is
>now on its way to a nameless scrap metal yard, in an obscure city, where it
>will rest in peace,  horizontally polarized.

On the other hand, AB105 can transmit the good vibes as well. The AB105 at
W4BVV in the 70's was responsible for many a qso, and some #1 world multi-op
scores. It was later acquired by W3LPL and added to AB105 he already had.
Word has it that stuff in the station sometimes rotates and tunes by itself
to herald a dawning band opening. Would seem so if one looks at the scores.

Apparently AB105 has to be properly preconditioned with lots of qso's right
off the bat, or it goes bad....  Kinda like training a puppy.

73, y'all

Guy.

k2av@qsl.net
Apex, NC, USA