[TowerTalk] Compact 40M Beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Compact 40M Beams
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:58:04 EDT
In a message dated 8/24/98 7:52:13 PM Central Daylight Time, w7zrc@micron.net
writes:

<< Maybe we are blessed with mild weather and low humidity
 etc. and that goes a long way for antenna longevity. Now that I've said this,
 they'll probably fall apart.....

 YMMV,  73 Rod >>

Like the real estate salesperson says, its "location, location, location." In
the 33 years I lived in South Texas, I lost five KLM 4 el 40's, one Telrex 3
el 40, 14 other yagis of various manufacture and a total of 14 towers that
fell. I'm not proud of that record, but tornados and hurricanes do bad stuff.
Between mine and other folks, I can also account for building a total of 13
KLM 4 element 40 meter beams. (From the record book of useless trivia)

I now have a 70' Rohn 45 tower with torque assembly, a KT34XA and a beefed up
402CD on a 6,500' mountain top in Nevada. Ridge winds notwithstanding, I hope
this array stays up for the next 33 years with zero maintenance! I'VE PAID MY
DUES!!!!

Tom, K5RC/7