[TowerTalk] Tower bases near basement walls

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower bases near basement walls
From: rodman@acsu.buffalo.edu (D. Rodman, MD)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 06:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
I have a US Tower 589 with a 5' X 7' X 9' concrete base that is ATTACHED
to my house foundation and poured concrete wall.  There have never been
any cracks or other difficulty.  You should plan to speak with a civil
engineer about the soil density and ask for comments or calculations about
digging and then back filling the hole near the structure.  In my
experience, (I studied EE not CE), the soil type matters more than the
location by the adjacent structure.

David J. Rodman, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Ophthalmology