[TowerTalk] boom-to-mast slippage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] boom-to-mast slippage
From: stan@capeonramp.com (stan)
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 22:07:59 -0400
Hello Reid,

For my older sattelite boom I used the KLM fiberglass 1.5" OD boom.
Upon their suggestion I added 6" of 1" OD solid fiberglass dowel into
the boom ends. I also added  the stick-on traction pads like you may add
to the forward parts of stairs to add traction. This stuff is sold by the
foot
at hardware stores. Cut a length equal to the circumference of the boom,
remove the stick back backing and apply at the boom ends where
the antenna clamps will be placed. I prefer the gritty traction stick ons
and not the rubbery ones. adding the solid dowel allows more
compressive force with the u-bolts.

KLM sells the 1" OD dowel and the traction pads...
I would prefer the solid fiberglass dowel over the wood.
Fiberglass compresses less, and the wood, if not treated will
absorb water and may rot.

An additional move is to add about a 8" fiberglass dowell to the
center of the KLM boom so you can crank down harder on the
el rotator to boom clamps. Should not be too hard to push the
8" dowell down to the middle or to the location of the el rotator
clamps if you balance your boom.

On my latest satellite boom I used the split M2 type using 2.0" OD
1/4" wall fiberglass. a 1.5" OD solid aluminum peice is fastened to
the Yaesu elevation rotator and the 2 boom peices fit over the
exposed ends of the solid aluminum peice, coming thru the el rotator.
I did not use a dowel inside the fiberglas ends, but I did use the
traction patches under the u-bolts.  No movement has been noticed to date.

I upgraded to the split fiberglass boom so I could add more antennas on it
like 2 x of the M2 35 el 23 cm and later for P3D, a 1' dish for 24 Ghz
and 10 Ghz downlinks. I also use a KLM 22 el 2M cross pol and a
CC 738 XP, 38 el cross pol on 70 cm.at the ends.
Of course, for either boom you must paint the fiberglass to prevent
UV deterioration and subsequent shedding of fiber material.
Gets awfully itchy when ya crawl over it.....

Stan, WA1ECF   Cape Cod, MA    FN41sr