[TowerTalk] Crank Up towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank Up towers
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:56:37 -0600
Re:  55 ft vs. 72 ft towers  from  W4

The lower height will be more effective during midday.
You really need high and low antennas to cover all
the angles supported by the ionosphere.  I like 40 ft
for my low antennas, which covers all of the higher
angles supported by the ionosphere up to an MUF
of 50 MHz.  120 ft makes a good high antenna for
the low angles with the added benefit that the
second lobe falls in the center of the vertical
pattern of a 40 ft high antenna, but is only 1/3
as wide in the vertical pattern of a 40 ft high
antenna and has a null between the first and
second lobes.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:39:44 -0400 Ken Fath <74046.1410@compuserve.com>
writes:

>Hi all,
>I recently obtained a Cushcraft X7 beam. I need to purchase a crank up
>tower for the beam and possibly a small WARC beam stacked on top at a
>later
>date. The site for the tower is among multiple 50-70 foot pine trees.
>have two questions for the more experienced of those on the reflector.
>One-Is there a distinct advantage between a 55 ft vs 72 foot tower?
>Two-
>Would the TX series (either -55 or-72) be adaquate or would the extra
>expence of the HDX series be worth it?
>Thanks and 73,
>Ken N4KF

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]