[TowerTalk] Crank Up towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank Up towers
From: amcastmis@earthlink.net (Jim)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:27:12 -0700
Hi Ken,

If the X7 is all you're putting up, the TX series should be more than
adequate.  After all, it's rated at almost twice the load handling that the X7
will introduce.  Even with a small WARC beam addition you'd still be ok.  If
you think you may add something large, say a 40 meter beam, consider the HDX
series.  I have a X9 on a tower that's rated even less than the TX series with
no problems, although we don't get severe wx here.  I've seen some good answers
on the height issue so I won't add to it other than to say that I'd go the 72
footer since you're still in the planning stages.  You can always crank it down
when propagation would favor the lower antenna.  I'm just the opposite.  My
punnie little 40 footer can't get to either of those heights! :(     My next
QTH will have at least a 72 if not a 89 footer.

73's
Jim
WB6YAW

P.S. Try the X7 on 12 & 17 before buying a WARC band beam.  My X9 works pretty
good on those bands but you do need to use a tuner.