[TowerTalk] Stacking questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stacking questions
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 16:37:34 +0100

Robert L. Shohet wrote:

> Let's say that I am going to stack 3 4L 15 meter antennas on the same
> band that are gamma matched with roughly the same pattern, resonant
> freq. and vswr. But due to the heights of the antennas and the guy wires
> I need to do the following:
>
> 4L long-boom design res. 21.225  27 ft boom @ 90'
> 4L                  res. 21.225  20 ft boom @ 60'
> 4L long-boom        res. 21.225  27 ft boom @ 30'
>
> Is this idea ok?  Or is it better to use 27' boom at 60' even though
> when rotated it will be within 18" of the guy wires at certain beam
> headings?

It will be better to use IDENTICAL antennas in the stack.  18 inches is a
mile in these applications!!

> I plan to use 1/4" EHS rather than Phillystran.

Better break it up with insulators per the Handbook or use fiberglass guy
rod (see my home page: http://www.erols.com)

> Question #2
>
> What is the minimum height (based on personal experience not
> manufacturers suggestions!) that you would recommend spacing a 2L
> Cushcraft 40-2CD above or below a 4L long-boom Cushcraft 4L20?

The minuimum spacing I  use between my 402CD and HiGain 204CA is 17 feet.
But, you can model your situation and determine what interference level you
would accept exactly.