[TowerTalk] full body harness ---> full body massage needed!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] full body harness ---> full body massage needed!
From: n0nsv@amsat.org (Mark D. Fossum)
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 08:38:04 -0500

Pete Raymond wrote:

> Jim White, K4OJ wrote:
> >
> > Yesterday I wore a new full body/fall arrest/harness for the first time.
> >
> > I could NOT get comfortable in it, at all!
> >
> > I suspect there is something I am missing in the adjustment of its
> > operation.
> >
> > I cannot get the seat to land in the right spot on my butt to make me feel
> > like it is supporting me when I am belted in.  There is too much weight
> > being transmitted to the belt which is landing high on my body.
> >
> > I came down the tower with sore kidneys, this has gotta be wrong.
> >
> > I am used to about thirty years worth of having something tightly wrapped
> > around my waist - at my "belt height"...where there a large mass of
> > bones.....this however seems to be asking that it cinch down above my waist
> > and below my rib cage....if the unthinkable were to happen I may not
> > fall....but I sure as heck would have my innards squeezed!
> >
> > It is a Kelin full body fall arrest harness.....it has shoulder straps with
> > a fall arrest ring in the middle of my shoulder blades...there is the
> > "belt" which seems to land in the wrong spot.....there are four d-rings,
> > two attach to the "seat" (which does not land in the right spot on my
> > butt)..and the other two are on the belt.....and there are two leg straps
> > which at times ride a little too far North for my liking (as in voice
> > changing pitch!).
> >
> > If you wear one of these and have tips on its adjustment I would appreciate
> > your thoughts......the owners manual that came with the belt, while thick,
> > not only does not picture the one belt in the box, but does not address the
> > methodology of adjusting one of these suckers to fit a 6'3" fat old man -
> > halp, I got a lot of antenna work to get done quickly, see below!
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Jim, K4OJ
> > k4oj@ij
>
> Jim, I would double check the class of body harness you have.  I believe
> most manufactures have four classes of harnesses; Fall Arrest System,
> Work Positioning System, Suspension System, and Retrieval System.
> I have a Buckingham full body harness and ordered it with both the
> fall arrest and work positiong system.  It sounds like yours has the
> same
> but you stated you had a fall arrest body harness, so I would check with
> the mfr etc.  I adjust mine with the sholder and leg adjustments.
> Did you get the proper size?  73 & GL Pete N4KW

Jim:

I would have to agree with Pete's assumptions. When you positioned yourself with
the lanyard, did the harness seem to pull down on your shoulders? If so, you're
using a plain fall arresting belt. Typically used by constructions workers and
sign hangers. You might want to take another look at it. Possibly the company
that sold you the belt shipped this one in error.

Good luck!

Mark